Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Poker Peer

It always helps to have someone to talk poker with to improve your (and their) game. It's especially helpful when that person is a peer playing the same level. Justin is currently at the 100s and basically doesn't have the time for poker yet. Aaron's been busy lately too, and he's playing the 400s/600s. But on the bright side, I found someone who plays on FTP that I can learn from.

About two weeks before I started to play the 200s exclusively, I was seeing on the 2p2 forum's datamine list that "GarbageLady" was doing well. I was interested in that list so when I moved up to the 200s, I could see who to avoid and maybe even observe their game since they're winners--they must be doing something right. So, I've played over 50k hands so far at the 200s and I'm down 4buyins. I haven't been running hot or cold, I just have a few leaks in my game I'm aware of.

Anyway, I've been on the "FTP Regulars" thread almost daily and "outted" myself to the other regs recently to improve my game. Hopefully now that the others can connect my screennames, they can comment on a bad play they see (or a good one? meh probably not). Moreover, I now have spoken to "GarbageLady" (Austin) and agreed to exchange hhs to improve each others' game.

What I'm hoping to get out of exchanging hhs is confidence, and maybe a few enlightening observations and methods he has. I'm hoping if I can SEE someone win consistently at the 200s, it will rub off on me and help control my occasional chip spewing. Since he's already been established as a winner at the 200s, I'll try to offer little advice here and there, and just be someone to question his moves. But what I'll try to help him more with (and help myself learn more in the process) is floating more frequentlly. He will be playing the 400s more exclusively in the future, and I'll just try my best to help him gain a broader outlook on the more aggressive opponents.

BTW, I'm still aiming to make $10k in August....

No comments: