Friday, June 27, 2008

Played Like Crap

I'm going to go over a few hands, and talk about just how horribly I played the hands. This session was definitely a badly played one.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2811812

Ok, the preflop play was standard w/ 3betting QQ on the button. Flop brings JJ7 and IN POSITION I check. This is definitely not the way I usually play this hand on the flop, especially in position, but for some stupid reason I checked behind. The turn brings a 5, essentially nothing much to be scared of, and the villain leads for $19. These hands where the board has a paired broadway card usually cause me to want to play smaller pots (unless of course I hold said card). This is a "safety" measure I sometimes use, but I feel like I'm starting to get into the habit of checking these. What's my reasoning? I guess there's that feeling of both not getting any value because of showing so much strength and not wanting to be bluffed off my hand. This kind of hand is sometimes leaky, and I think I have to go over some strategies to play these flops better. And HOLY SHIT, did I just CHECK BACK the river??? That was 5x worse than the flop check! What checks on the river here that beats me? Basically nothing, and I check behind?

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2811815

This hand just stuck out as one I almost NEVER play like this. I posted it up here just because the line I took looks so horribly weak and nitty. In my defense, I think this guy's preflop raise was around 5% or so. If that was the case, I must have put him on AK at worst (MAYBE AQs, but I thought AQs would cbet to end on flop), esp from UTG+1, in essense playing my JJ to set in a family pot instead of my usual line of trying to get it heads up against a weaker hand/player. Just goes to show, even people w/ very nitty stats have strokes of genius and raise w/ 54s from early.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2811819

This one ALMOST takes the cake and tilted me. Wow, so many mistakes. Family pot, I'm deep, I DON'T MIND the call preflop at all. Some might say folding pre is good, and of course that wouldn't be bad at all, but deep, screw it, "one time." Now on the flop is where I feel I made the biggest mistake: I led out in this pot, hoping for a raise? Looking back, the damn preflop raiser was on my left, meaning I would be the one to close out the action on the flop after his cbet!!! Horrible! After I lead for pot the preflop raiser calls. The turn is a T, giving me the effective nuts (if he had QQ then chalk one up to the coolers and I wouldn't mind), so what do I do? I check like a new player! I got zero value on the turn! I mean, I could have at least done some kind of weak bet. The turn check was bad, but that was the result of leading the flop like an idiot. The river is the A (AA/AT now win, but AA definitely doesn't check on turn, and AT I would not mind losing to). At this point I consider a check/raise, but was just WAY too scared to see him check behind w/ a good hand and risk feeling ABSOLUTELY stupid. I value bet the river for $35 into $48. He calls the river w/ the nut straight, and I'm definitely steaming. I won so very little from a hand I should have won much more from. These are the types of hands that tilt me, not getting setted on or 3/2/1 outted, etc. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing that I could have easily won much more, but lost so much value. The obvious mistake in this hand was leading into that pot, no question about that. (Now if the flop would have checked around, eh I don't even want to think about it.)

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2811821

This one takes the cake! It's self explanatory. Playing this way and seeing this hand on showdown. Playing my hand like this makes me feel like I pissed my pants in front of strangers.

So all these horribly played hands, and the bankroll suffers. This doesn't mean I didn't have a winning, it just means I lost value and my winrate was lower than it could/should have been. I played a shade under 4.1k hands in 6 hours, with a profit of $568.55 @ $94.76/hr. My FTP bankroll is at $6955.66, and I hope to get over $7k by the end of the month. But I need to exercise a little more common sense and slow down my thought process more. There's no way I should have checked back on the river..... eh, forget it.

No comments: